We’re back! This week we tackle the War on Straws and how worried we should be about all the plastic filling our oceans.
We speak to marine biologist Christine Figgener, environmental educator Carrie Roble, physiology Prof. John Weinstein, and ecology Prof. David Barnes.
- Check out the full transcript here.
- The infamous turtle video
- An ambitious project that mapped the Great Pacific Garbage Patch
- This paper that breaks down the sources and amount of plastic getting in the ocean
- John’s study on how fast microplastics form
- This meta-analysis on microplastics, fish, and invertebrates
- A review of some of the chemicals in plastic and child health
Credits: This episode was produced by Wendy Zukerman along with Rose Rimler, Meryl Horn and Odelia Rubin. Our senior producer is Kaitlyn Sawrey. We’re edited by Caitlin Kenney and Blythe Terrell. Fact checking by Michelle Harris, Meryl Horn and Rose Rimler. Mix and sound design by Emma Munger. Music by Emma Munger and Bobby Lord. A huge thanks to all the researchers we got in touch with for this episode – including Dr Chris Wilcox, Dr Denise Hardesty, Prof Anthony Andrady, Dr Carolyn Foley, Dr Tracy Mincer, and Dr Laurent Lebreton. Thank you! Also thanks to the Zukerman Family and Joseph Lavelle Wilson.