After students have an opportunity to draw and describe how they see the shape changing they are ready to engage in group work and further study.
- How do you see the pattern growing?
- How many squares are in figure 10? Explain how you know.
- How many squares are in figure 55? Explain how you know.
- Can you use 190 squares to make a stair-like structure? Mathematically justify your answer.
- How can you figure out how many total squares are in any figure?
- If you have 1,478 squares, can you make a stair-like structure using all of the squares?