Students should be encouraged to check each players work and provide feedback for mistakes. Remember, mistakes are awesome and they make our brain grow!
- First, on a sheet of paper, each player needs to write the players’ names and the number 999 under them.
- A player rolls the three dice, then arranges the three numbers (for example, 2, 3, 5) in some order (for example, 235, 352, 532, and so on) and subtracts that 3-digit number from 999. The other players also should check the players work.
- The players take turns, rolling the die to make their special number and subtracting that number from their total.
- The winner is the first player to reach 0, but they must get to 0 exactly.
- At any time, a player may choose to roll only one or two dice, instead of three dice. If the only numbers a player can make are larger that his remaining score, the player loses his turn.
- Three dice
- Paper and pencil
From Helping with Math at Home: More Ideas for Parents. 2006. Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann.