Calling all Arizona 4-H youth members!
Are you interested in writing? Submit an essay to this year’s National 4-H Beekeeping Essay Competition! The topic is “Immunity: Threats to Bee Colonies and Methods to Defend Against the Threats”. You must write about at least two threats to honey bee colonies and the methods to defend against them. The full prompt and more information can be found here.
Essay requirements for national judging:
- Essay must be typewritten or computer-generated on single-sided pages and formatted following standard manuscript format, using double-spaced type and 12-point font in legible font face.
- Essay must encompass the designated topic in 750 to 1,000 words. Word count does not include sources, works cited or the writer’s biographical statement.
- All factual statements and interview references must be cited in a “sources” or “bibliography” list.
- Essays will be judged on (a) scope of research, 40%; (b) accuracy, 30%; (c) creativity, 10%; (d) conciseness, 10%; and (e) logical development of the topic, 10%.
- On a separate page, please include a brief biographical statement about the writer and include mailing address, email address and phone number.
Three cash prizes will be awarded in the 2021 National 4-H Beekeeping Essay Competition. The author of the highest scoring essay will win first prize. The author of the second-highest scoring essay will win second prize. The author of the third-highest scoring essay will win third prize.
- First Prize: $750
- Second Prize: $500
- Third Prize: $250
Submission Information and Deadlines
Essays will only be accepted from Active 4-H youth, meaning you must be enrolled in ZingBooks for the 2020-2021 year. Please submit your essay by March 22nd, 2021 to email@example.com. The Arizona 4-H State Office will review all submissions and will choose one entry to submit from Arizona for national review by April 1. National winners will be announced on June 15, 2021.