This week, we’re entering the Lyme Wars.
We’re asking: what is Lyme disease? How do you get it? How do you know you have it? And if you get infected, are you stuck with it forever? To find out we talk to neurologist Dr John Halperin, neuropsychology researcher Dr Kathleen Bechtold, and a Lyme patient we’re calling Emily.
Check out the transcript here: http://bit.ly/2DZhQxo
- About the culprits behind Lyme Disease
- The best summary on how well the Lyme tests work
- Kathleen’s study about patients suffering from Post-Treatment Lyme Disease Syndrome
- A most helpful primer on Chronic Lyme
- Two controlled trials showing that long-term antibiotics use doesn’t help zap out lingering Lyme symptoms
This episode has been produced by Shruti Ravindran, Wendy Zukerman, along with Rose Rimler and Meryl Horn. Our senior producer is Kaitlyn Sawrey. We’re edited by Blythe Terrell. Additional editing help from Caitlin Kenney. Fact checking by Michelle Harris. Mix and sound design by Emma Munger. Music written by Bobby Lord and Emma Munger. Recording assistance from Daniel Woldorff, Susan Valot, Davis Land and Julian Weller. For this episode, we also spoke to Dr John Aucott, Dr Brian Fallon, Dr Allen Steere, Dr Paul Lantos, Dr Adriana Marques and Dr Alan Barbour. Thank you so much. Thanks to the Zukerman Family and Joseph Lavelle Wilson. And our favorite songstress Rachel Ward.