Students will observe and understand similarities and differences between Bald eagles and Peregrine falcons and summarize their findings in an organized way or via a classroom presentation.
This lesson plan will take one to two class periods plus homework.
Full Lesson Plan >> Bald Eagle Versus Peregrine Falcon
- All about Peregrine falcons: https://scitechinstitute.orgwww.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Peregrine_Falcon/lifehistory
- Background information on the falcons nesting at Great Spirit Bluff: https://scitechinstitute.orgwww.raptorresource.org/2020/03/22/peregrine-falcons-great-spirit-bluff-lifestyles-of-the-fast-and-furious/
- Live Great Spirit Bluff falcon cam: https://scitechinstitute.orgwww.raptorresource.org/birdcams/gsb-falcons/
- All about Bald eagles: https://scitechinstitute.orgwww.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Bald_Eagle/lifehistory
- Live cam and background information about the Decorah Eagles:
https://scitechinstitute.orgwww.raptorresource.org/birdcams/decorah-eagles/. Read “About the Decorah Eagles” and “Quick Facts”.
- Eagle video library: https://scitechinstitute.orgraptorresource.education/video-libraries/eagle-videos/
- Peregrine falcon video library: https://scitechinstitute.orgraptorresource.education/video-libraries/664-2/
Teachers are welcome to apply for a Raptor Resource Project educational chat account to observe incubation, hatching, and eaglets with other classes from around the country. The chat is moderated by Raptor Resource Project volunteers. Link: https://scitechinstitute.orgwww.raptorresource.org/classroom/. If you don’t have a Raptor Resource Project classroom account, register here: https://scitechinstitute.orgwww.raptorresource.org/register/. All of our birdcams can be accessed at https://scitechinstitute.orgwww.raptorresource.org/birdcams/.
Elementary, Language Arts, Life Science, and Middle School