Students use the shape (structure) of a roll cage to try to determine the roll cage’s function in a NASCAR race car.
Using model roll cages they construct from pipe cleaners, students investigate whether a roll cage made from metal can keep the same shape while rolling along a track. Is metal the right material for the job?
- Optional: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series Video from 4:02:37 to 4:03:15 to re-introduce NASCAR racing to students
- Slide Show: Metal Parts Used in Race Cars
- NASCAR Automotive Technology Series: Chassis Inspection Video Clip A, start at 32 seconds and play to 1:53 min without sound
- Slideshow: NASCAR Roll Cage Investigation
Roll Cage Investigation Materials
- Each Roll Cage Model
– 6 pipe cleaners
– Cotton ball
- Each Testing Ramp
– Books or Box
Materials for Posters or Writing on the Board
- Poster Paper and Markers OR
- Whiteboard and Dry Erase Markers