As a Math for America fellow and chemistry teacher at Park East High School in New York City, Jamie Kubiak recently delivered an important presentation to a packed room at the NSTA conference in St. Louis: Affirming and Representing LGBTQIA+ Students in Science.
After reviewing the presentation materials (including a video of his presentation!), we knew we had to help bring this message to a wider audience. Jamie joins us to discuss why this work is important and shares some valuable resources and simple strategies that you can use to affirm and represent LGBTQIA+ students in your science classroom.
- Affirming and Representing LGBTQIA+ Students in Science Curricula (Presentation Materials)
- Episode 170: Teaching as a True Profession (MfA)
- Gender Terminology Guide
- GSA Network
- 500 Queer Scientists
- Creating LGBTQ+ Inclusive Curriculum and Classroom Spaces at Colleges and Universities: A Guide for Faculty/Instructors (UConn)
Connect with our guest:
- Teacher twitter/instagram: @kubiakchemistry
- Podcast facebook/twitter/instagram: @justwhateverpod