Today we travel to a future where humans decide to start relocating species to save them from climate change.
- Jason McLachlan — associate professor of ecology at the University of Notre Dame
- Cuauhtémoc Sáenz-Romero — forest geneticist at Universidad Michoacana de San Nicolás de Hidalgo
- Emma Marris — environmental writer, author of Rambunctious Garden
- Tero Mustonen — biologist with the Snowchange Cooperative & head of the Kesälahti fish base
- Protecting monarch butterflies’ winter home could mean moving hundreds of trees
- Harwood’s Woolleystar
- Mexican Forest Turns Orange Every Fall Thanks to the Monarch Butterfly
- Monarch Butterfly Biosphere Reserve — UNESCO
- Monarch migration and overwintering
- Ecological Restoration of Abies religiosa Forests Using Nurse Plants and Assisted Migration in the Monarch Butterfly Biosphere Reserve, Mexico
- Abies religiosa Seedling Limitations for Passive Restoration Practice at the Monarch Butterfly Biosphere Reserve in Mexico.
- A Framework for Debate of Assisted Migration in an Era of Climate Change
- The ice age ecologist: testing methods for reserve prioritization during the last global warming
- Mitigating Climate Change through Transportation and Land Use Policy
- The Ecology of Invasions by Animals and Plants by Charles S. Elton
- Resource Science: Spotted owls and the timber wars
- Barred Owl Threat
- Rewilding in Finland
- Diné kinship as a framework for conserving native tree species in climate change
- Snowchange Cooperative
Episode Sponsors: MOVA Globes // Visit movaglobes.com/flashforward and use the code FLASHFORWARD, all one word, at checkout for 10% off your purchase.
Flash Forward is produced by me, Rose Eveleth. The intro music is by Asura and the outtro music is by Hussalonia. The episode art is by Matt Lubchansky. The voices from the future this episode were provided by
If you want to suggest a future we should take on, send us a note on Twitter, Facebook or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We love hearing your ideas! And if you think you’ve spotted one of the little references I’ve hidden in the episode, email us there too. If you’re right, I’ll send you something cool.
And if you want to support the show, there are a few ways you can do that too! Head to www.flashforwardpod.com/support for more about how to give. But if that’s not in the cards for you, you can head to iTunes and leave us a nice review or just tell your friends about us. Those things really do help.
That’s all for this future, come back next time and we’ll travel to a new one.
Flash Forward is a critically acclaimed podcast about the future.
In each episode, host Rose Eveleth takes on a possible (or not so possible) future scenario — everything from the existence of artificial wombs, to what would happen if space pirates dragged a second moon to Earth. What would the warranty on a sex robot look like? How would diplomacy work if we couldn’t lie? Could there ever be a black market for fecal transplants? (Complicated, it wouldn’t, and yes, respectively, in case you’re curious.) By combining audio drama and deep reporting, Flash Forward gives listeners an original and unique window into the future, how likely different scenarios might be, and how to prepare for what might come.