Today we travel to a future where humans crack fusion and can generate huge amounts of power from the most common element on Earth with nearly no waste.
- Charles Seife, professor at NYU and author of Sun in a Bottle: The Strange History of Fusion and the Science of Wishful Thinking
- Sabina Griffith, communications officer at ITER
- Nicholas Evans, professor of ethics at UMass Lowell
- Michael Wahid Hanna, senior fellow at The Century Foundation
- Sun in a Bottle: The Strange History of Fusion and the Science of Wishful Thinking
- Fusion catches a cold
- Fusion Energy’s Dreamers, Hucksters, and Loons
- ITER FAQ
- ITER construction live feed
- Castle Bravo: The Largest U.S. Nuclear Explosion
- Edward Teller, Atomic Heritage Foundation
- Considering the obvious benefits of fusion energy and the considerable efforts spent trying to attain them, why hasn’t fusion research so far produced better results?
- The Merits of Fusion
- Four decades later, has America finally got over the oil crisis?
- Oil Shock of 1973–74
- Contrasting Dual-Use Issues in Biology and Nuclear Science
- The Road to Fusion
- Why nuclear fusion is gaining steam – again
- Experts Urge U.S. to Continue Support for Nuclear Fusion Research
- Infinite Energy Magazine — Arthur C. Clarke
- The Spacecraft Designs of Arthur C. Clarke
- Radio Host — Brett Humphries (a Patron!)
- Moses Blackman — Eden Rohatensky
- Dr. Amelia Brand — Soleil Ho
- Lawrence O’Donnell — Tamara Krinsky
If you want to suggest a future we should take on, send us a note on Twitter, Facebook or by email at email@example.com. We love hearing your ideas! And if you think you’ve spotted one of the little references I’ve hidden in the episode, email us there too. If you’re right, I’ll send you something cool.
And if you want to support the show, there are a few ways you can do that too! Head to www.flashforwardpod.com/support for more about how to give. But if that’s not in the cards for you, you can head to iTunes and leave us a nice review or just tell your friends about us. Those things really do help.
That’s all for this future, come back next time and we’ll travel to a new one.
Flash Forward is a critically acclaimed podcast about the future.
In each episode, host Rose Eveleth takes on a possible (or not so possible) future scenario — everything from the existence of artificial wombs, to what would happen if space pirates dragged a second moon to Earth. What would the warranty on a sex robot look like? How would diplomacy work if we couldn’t lie? Could there ever be a black market for fecal transplants? (Complicated, it wouldn’t, and yes, respectively, in case you’re curious.) By combining audio drama and deep reporting, Flash Forward gives listeners an original and unique window into the future, how likely different scenarios might be, and how to prepare for what might come.