This episode we go to a future with pirates!
There always has to be at least one pirate episode per season. This time it’s pharmaceutical pirates.
Autonomous tells the story of two main characters: Jack the pharmaceutical pirate, and Palladin the bot that is trying to hunt her down. A few cool links related to Autonomous:
- How to Write a Novel Set More Than 125 Years in the Future
- Robots need civil rights, too
- Sword and Laser podcast #306 – Indentured Robotude w/ Annalee Newitz
- Pirates and Robots Square Off Over Drugs in Annalee Newitz’s Debut Novel
- In A Future Ruled By Big Pharma, A Robot Tentatively Explores Freedom — And Sex: ‘Autonomous’
For our episode, we focused on the pharmaceutical piracy part of the book. And to talk to us about the nitty gritty of how pharmaceuticals are made, and how they’re protected by patents, I talked to Jason Kahana, the founder and president of a small biotech company called Integrity Biosolutions, and Charles Duan, the director of the Patent Reform Project at Public Knowledge. [Full disclosure: my father and Jason know each other and have worked together in the past.]
- These Aren’t the Patent Remedies You’re Looking For (No, Really)
- Teva Pharmaceuticals Antitrust Settlement is a Win for Competition
- Martin Shkreli Is Big Pharma’s Biggest A**hole
- Drug C.E.O. Martin Shkreli Arrested on Fraud Charges
- Yusuf Hamied, generic drugs boss
- The Treasure of Mumbai
- Pharmaceutical deformulation
- The Role of Reverse Engineering in the Development of Generic Formulations
- The Impact of the US Food and Drug Administration Chlorofluorocarbon Ban on Out-of-pocket Costs and Use of Albuterol Inhalers Among Individuals With Asthma
- Do Patents Disclose Useful Information?
- We Are Definitely Against Indefiniteness in Patents
Flash Forward is produced by me, Rose Eveleth. The intro music is by Asura and the outtro and ad-break music is by Hussalonia. The pirate music from the intro is by Nerve Damage. The future voices this episode were played by Tamara Krinsky, Brent Rose and Stephen Granade. The episode art is by Matt Lubchansky.
If you want to suggest a future we should take on, send us a note on Twitter, Facebook or by email at email@example.com. We love hearing your ideas! And if you think you’ve spotted one of the little references I’ve hidden in the episode, email us there too. If you’re right, I’ll send you something cool.
And if you want to support the show, there are a few ways you can do that too! We have a Patreon page, where you can donate to the show. But if that’s not in the cards for you, you can head to iTunes and leave us a nice review or just tell your friends about us. Those things really do help.
That’s all for this future, come back next month and we’ll travel to a new one.
Flash Forward is a critically acclaimed podcast about the future.
In each episode, host Rose Eveleth takes on a possible (or not so possible) future scenario — everything from the existence of artificial wombs, to what would happen if space pirates dragged a second moon to Earth. What would the warranty on a sex robot look like? How would diplomacy work if we couldn’t lie? Could there ever be a black market for fecal transplants? (Complicated, it wouldn’t, and yes, respectively, in case you’re curious.) By combining audio drama and deep reporting, Flash Forward gives listeners an original and unique window into the future, how likely different scenarios might be, and how to prepare for what might come.