Today we travel to a future where you can retire to a nursing home… in space.
- Anicca Harriot — PhD candidate at the University of Maryland School of medicine
- Dustin Gibson — Access, Disability and Language Justice Coordinator at PeoplesHub
- Dr. Tracie Prater — Aerospace Engineer at NASA
- Space–brain: The negative effects of space exposure on the central nervous system
- Aging Faster in Space to Age Better on Earth
- Assessment of Jugular Venous Blood Flow Stasis and Thrombosis During Spaceflight
- First reported occurrence and treatment of spaceflight medical risk 200+ miles above earth
- Medications in Space: In Search of a Pharmacologist’s Guide to the Galaxy
- Microgravity and Cosmic Radiations During Space Exploration as a Window Into Neurodegeneration on Earth
- Studying Aging in Space? Send an Aging Astronaut
- Oct. 29, 1998 – John Glenn Returns to Space
- Zero-G Blood and the Many Horrors of Space Surgery
- Exercise in space: human skeletal muscle after 6 months aboard the International Space Station
- How 11 Deaf Men Helped Shape NASA’s Human Spaceflight Program
- Critical Knowledge inSight: Gallaudet Eleven-The Deaf Right Stuff
- It’s Time to Rethink Who’s Best Suited for Space Travel
- Human heart cells are altered by spaceflight, but return to (mostly) normal on Earth
- Space-Age Challenge: Healing Broken Bones, Wounds and Internal Organs
- AARP Answers: Nursing Homes and the Coronavirus
- States Allow In-Person Nursing Home Visits As Families Charge Residents Die ‘Of Broken Hearts’
- Tonawanda nursing home worker says ‘it was chaos’ when the COVID surge hit
- ‘Makeshift morgue’ at New Jersey nursing home sparks broader coronavirus probe
- Why Nursing Homes Become COVID-19 Hot Spots
- ‘A national disgrace’: 40,600 deaths tied to US nursing homes
- “Fire Through Dry Grass”: Andrew Cuomo Saw COVID-19’s Threat to Nursing Homes. Then He Risked Adding to It.
- Putting More People in Prison Can Increase Crime, Study Says / Communities suffer when too many men gone
- It’s Time to Abolish Nursing Homes
- It’s Time for an End-of-Life Discussion About Nursing Homes
- Comparing Aging in Place to Home Health Care: Impact of Nurse Care Coordination On Utilization and Costs
- Comparison of Long-term Care in Nursing Homes Versus Home Health: Costs and Outcomes in Alabama
- The Changing Structure of the Nursing Home Industry and the Impact of Ownership on Quality, Cost, and Access
- As residents perish, nursing homes fight for protection from lawsuits
- Nursing home industry pushes for immunity from lawsuits during coronavirus emergency
- Coronavirus is renewing a call to abolish nursing homes
- Fair Housing Project
- Change Everything: Racial Capitalism and the Case for Abolition by Ruth Wilson Gilmore
- How much do incarcerated people earn in each state?
- States Weigh Options on Subminimum Wages for Workers With Disabilities
- A loophole in federal law allows companies to pay disabled workers $1 an hour
- Heat Transfer in Microgravity
- Not Your Backyard Compost Heap
- Taking ZBLAN Optical Fiber Production to Space
- Made in Space—Building a Better Optical Fiber
- Building a Lunar Base with 3D Printing
- Boeing to support NASA with ISS operations through 2024
- Is the White House Planning to Hold the Space Station Hostage?
- Into The Zone: Into the Zone is a podcast about opposites, and how borders are never as clear as we think.
- Shaker & Spoon: A subscription cocktail service that helps you learn how to make hand-crafted cocktails right at home. Get $20 off your first box at shakerandspoon.com/ffwd.
- Tab for a Cause: A browser extension that lets you raise money for charity while doing your thing online. Whenever you open a new tab, you’ll see a beautiful photo and a small ad. Part of that ad money goes toward a charity of your choice! Join team Advice For And From The future by signing up at tabforacause.org/flashforward.
- Tavour: Tavour is THE app for fans of beer, craft brews, and trying new and exciting labels. You sign up in the app and can choose the beers you’re interested in (including two new ones DAILY) adding to your own personalized crate. Use code: flashforward for $10 off after your first order of $25 or more.
- Purple Carrot: Purple Carrot is THE plant-based subscription meal kit that makes it easy to cook irresistible meals to fuel your body. Each week, choose from an expansive and delicious menu of dinners, lunches, breakfasts, and snacks! Get $30 off your first box by going to www.purplecarrot.com and entering code FLASH at checkout today! Purple Carrot, the easiest way to eat more plants!
Flash Forward is produced by me, Rose Eveleth. The intro music is by Asura and the outtro music is by Hussalonia. The episode art is by Matt Lubchansky. The voices from the future this episode were provided by
If you want to suggest a future we should take on, send us a note on Twitter, Facebook or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We love hearing your ideas! And if you think you’ve spotted one of the little references I’ve hidden in the episode, email us there too. If you’re right, I’ll send you something cool.
And if you want to support the show, there are a few ways you can do that too! Head to www.flashforwardpod.com/support for more about how to give. But if that’s not in the cards for you, you can head to iTunes and leave us a nice review or just tell your friends about us. Those things really do help.
That’s all for this future, come back next time and we’ll travel to a new one.