Today we travel to a future where all animal testing is banned.
What are the alternatives? What can we do without using animals, and what can’t we do?
Full transcript available in site.
- Janet D. Stemwedel — professor of philosophy at San Jose State University
- Lawrence Carter Long — communications director at the Disability Rights Education & Defense Fund
- Kristie Sullivan — vice president of research policy at the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
- Deepak Kaushal — director of the Southwest National Primate Research Center at Texas Biomedical Research Institute
- Hunter Rogers — researcher at Northwestern University on EVATAR project
- FDA Animal Testing and Cosmetics
- How did the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act come about?
- Safety Testing History
- Opinion versus evidence for the need to move away from animal testing.
- Ex-Director Zerhouni Surveys Value of NIH Research
- Global trends of animal ethics and scientific research
- The ‘Necessity’ Of Animal Research Does Not Mean It’s Ethical
- Reengineering Translational Science: The Time Is Right
- The ethics of animal research. Talking Point on the use of animals in scientific research
- 1926 The Atlantic: The Ethics of Animal Experimentation
- The Moral Status of Invasive Animal Research
- The ethics and value of responsible animal research
- Science for the People podcast episode: Animal Research Revisited
- Nothing to hide: opening the files on animal research
- Medical progress depends on animal models – doesn’t it?
- Reliability of Protocol Reviews for Animal Research
- Estimates for worldwide laboratory animal use in 2005.
- Factors associated with clinical trials that fail and opportunities for improving the likelihood of success: A review
- Roadmap to guide progress toward replacing animal use in toxicity testing
- Alternatives to animal testing: A review
- Animal experimentation: A look into ethics, welfare and alternative methods
- What are the Best Animal Models for Testing Early Intervention in Cerebral Palsy?
- Long-term neuropathologic changes associated with cerebral palsy in a nonhuman primate model of hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy
- Physicians Committee For Responsible Medicine: Animal Testing Alternatives
- Alternatives to Animals Fact Sheet
- EVATAR system
- A microfluidic culture model of the human reproductive tract and 28-day menstrual cycle
- Device Mimicking Female Reproductive Cycle Could Aid Research
- Organ-on-a-chip platforms for drug delivery and cell characterization: A review
- Organ-on-a-chip platforms for studying drug delivery systems
- Recent advances in organ-on-a-chip technologies and future challenges: a review.
- Beasts of Burden: Animal and Disability Liberation
- Maria — Cara Rose de Fabio
- Gaby — Eler de Grey
- Marquis — Rotimi Agbabiaka (check out his new solo show called Manifesto on June 21 at the African American Arts and Culture Complex as part of the National Queer Arts Festival.)
- John — Keith Houston (also check out his karaoke nights in San Francisco)
- Flash Forward is produced by me, Rose Eveleth. The intro music is by Asura and the outtro music is by Hussalonia. The episode art is by Matt Lubchansky. Special thanks this episode to