Today we travel to a future where a coalition of concerned mothers convinces the United States to shut off the Internet.
Also, a quick note that this episode does discuss gun violence, mass shootings, suicide and pornography. You can find exact time codes for those topics in the show notes.
- Philip Elmer‑DeWitt, journalist
- Chipo Dendere, assistant orofessor of Africana Studies, Wellesley College
- Tim Maughan, author of Infinite Detail
- Infinite Detail by Tim Maughan
- Marketing Pornography on the Information Superhighway (Marty Rimm’s paper)
- Online Erotica: On A Screen Near You (Philip’s story)
- The Internet battles a much-disputed study on selling pornography on line
- The Internet Censorship Saga
- Finding Marty Rimm
- Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act
- The Return of the Techno-Moral Panic
- Cyberporn and communication decency
- The mental health crisis among America’s youth is real – and staggering
- Teen suicides are increasing at an alarming pace, outstripping all other age groups
- Attacks by White Extremists Are Growing. So Are Their Connections.
- Video Games and Online Chats Are ‘Hunting Grounds’ for Sexual Predators
- After internet blackout, Iranians take stock
- Life in an Internet Shutdown: Crossing Borders for Email and Contraband SIM Cards
- Why are so many African leaders shutting off the Internet in 2019?
- Best science fiction and fantasy books of 2019
- Cool Links of the Decade
- Billy’s mother — Tamara Krinsky
Flash Forward is produced by me, Rose Eveleth. The intro music is by Asura and the outtro music is by Hussalonia. The episode art is by Matt Lubchansky. Huge thanks to Tamara Krinsky who played the time traveling voice actor this mini-season. Did you notice?
If you want to suggest a future we should take on, send us a note on Twitter, Facebook or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We love hearing your ideas! And if you think you’ve spotted one of the little references I’ve hidden in the episode, email us there too. If you’re right, I’ll send you something cool.
And if you want to support the show, there are a few ways you can do that too! Head to www.flashforwardpod.com/support for more about how to give. But if that’s not in the cards for you, you can head to iTunes and leave us a nice review or just tell your friends about us. Those things really do help.
Flash Forward is a critically acclaimed podcast about the future.
In each episode, host Rose Eveleth takes on a possible (or not so possible) future scenario — everything from the existence of artificial wombs, to what would happen if space pirates dragged a second moon to Earth. What would the warranty on a sex robot look like? How would diplomacy work if we couldn’t lie? Could there ever be a black market for fecal transplants? (Complicated, it wouldn’t, and yes, respectively, in case you’re curious.) By combining audio drama and deep reporting, Flash Forward gives listeners an original and unique window into the future, how likely different scenarios might be, and how to prepare for what might come.