How much of what you do is actually your choice?
What if you were secretly being controlled by a parasite that had infected your brain? What if that infection was spreading?
- David Walton, author of The Genius Plague
- Tade Thompson, author or Rosewater
- Charissa de Bekker, researcher at the University of Central Florida
- Sandeep Ravindran, science journalist
- The Genius Plague KIRKUS Review
- Cover Launch for Rosewater
- The ants (Hymenoptera: Formicidae) and their parasites: effects of parasitic manipulations and host responses on ant behavioral ecology.
- Gene expression during zombie ant biting behavior reflects the complexity underlying fungal parasitic behavioral manipulation.
- Species-specific ant brain manipulation by a specialized fungal parasite.
- This tiny brain parasite seems to make rodents braver—and it likes humans, too
- Fatal attraction in rats infected with Toxoplasma gondii
- Can the common brain parasite, Toxoplasma gondii, influence human culture?
- Mechanisms of Host Behavioral Change in Toxoplasma gondii Rodent Association
- Engineering a parasite to tell you where it has been
- Protozoan Parasite Toxoplasma gondii Manipulates Mate Choice in Rats by Enhancing Attractiveness of Males
- Adaptive host manipulation by Toxoplasma gondii: fact or fiction?
- Morbid attraction to leopard urine in Toxoplasma-infected chimpanzees
- This parasite may turn you into a entrepreneur
- Toxoplasma gondii and Schizophrenia
Flash Forward is produced by me, Rose Eveleth. The intro music is by Asura and the outtro music is by Hussalonia. The voices from the future this week were provided by Charles Anderson, David Dunsmuir, Anthony Friscia, Andrea Klunder and Brent Rose. Check out Brent’s project Connected States, in which he drives around the US in a big van, at http://www.connectedstates.com/. You can listen to Andrea’s podcast The Creative Imposter wherever you get your podcasts. If you want to be a voice in a future scene for Flash Forward, that is one of the perks of a $10 Patreon pledge! Whenever I need voices I send out a little note to those patrons and people can sign up to do one!
The episode art is by Matt Lubchansky. Who is amazing! You should check out their art AND you should go look at the new magazine that they’re creating at the comics website The Nib. Go to membership.thenib.com to learn more about that.
If you want to suggest a future we should take on, send us a note on Twitter, Facebook or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We love hearing your ideas! And if you think you’ve spotted one of the little references I’ve hidden in the episode, email us there too. If you’re right, I’ll send you something cool.
And if you want to support the show, there are a few ways you can do that too! Head to www.flashforwardpod.com/support for more about how to give. But if that’s not in the cards for you, you can head to Apple Podcasts and leave us a nice review or just tell your friends about us. Those things really do help.
Flash Forward is a critically acclaimed podcast about the future.
In each episode, host Rose Eveleth takes on a possible (or not so possible) future scenario — everything from the existence of artificial wombs, to what would happen if space pirates dragged a second moon to Earth. What would the warranty on a sex robot look like? How would diplomacy work if we couldn’t lie? Could there ever be a black market for fecal transplants? (Complicated, it wouldn’t, and yes, respectively, in case you’re curious.) By combining audio drama and deep reporting, Flash Forward gives listeners an original and unique window into the future, how likely different scenarios might be, and how to prepare for what might come.