Finding Environmentally Friendly Vehicles the SmartWay
Purchasing the most environmentally friendly vehicle has never been easier. To save fuel, money and the environment, just look for the SmartWay mark.
What are SmartWay Certified Vehicles?
Each model year, EPA rates every new car, truck, and Sport Utility Vehicle (SUV) for greenhouse gas and smog-forming emissions on scales of 1-10. To earn the SmartWay designation, a vehicle must receive a combined score from both scales that is much better than the average vehicle. SmartWay Elite certification is given to only those vehicles that attain the highest scores on both scales. SmartWay Elite vehicles are the very best environmental performers.
EPA updates the greenhouse gas and smog rating thresholds annually. We also periodically update the SmartWay criteria so that we can maintain our goal of certifying the top 20 percent cleanest, most efficient vehicles.
Earning SmartWay Certification
SmartWay certification is based on the greenhouse gas (GHG) and smog ratings found on vehicle fuel economy labels.
Greenhouse Gas and Smog (Air Pollution) Ratings Required for SmartWay Certification
- Model Year 2022 (PDF) (1 pg, 100 K, April 2021, EPA-420-B-21-022)
- Model Year 2021 (PDF) (1 pg, 84 K, EPA-420-B-20-025, April 2020)
- Model Year 2020 (PDF) (1 pg, 115 K, EPA-420-B-19-018, April 2019)
- Model Year 2018 & 2019* (PDF) (1 pg, 480 K, EPA-420-B-18-016, February 2018)
- Model Year 2017 (PDF) (1 pg, 196 K, EPA-420-B-16-031, February 2016)
- Model Year 2016 (PDF) (1 pg, 200 K, EPA-420-B-15-019, February 2015)
- Model Year 2015 (PDF) (1 pg, 127 K, EPA-420-B-14-005, January 2014)
- Model Year 2014 (PDF) (1 pg, 221 K, EPA-420-B-13-013, February 2013)
- Model Year 2013 (PDF) (1 pg, 226 K, EPA-420-B-13-014, January 2012)
- Model Year 2011 & 2012** (PDF) (1 pg, 115 K, EPA-420-B-13-015, January 2010)
- Model Year 2009 & 2010** (PDF) (1 pg, 116 K, EPA-420-B-13-016, January 2008)
- Model Year 2008 & Earlier** (PDF) (1 pg, 233 K, EPA-420-B-13-017, January 2007)
*For information on the significant shift in the SmartWay MY 2018 smog threshold, please see the Frequently Asked Questions on smog ratings.
**Prior to MY 2013, SmartWay was based on the greenhouse gas and air pollution scores found in an earlier version of the Green Vehicle Guide.
Looking for information on the SmartWay program for freight movement? The SmartWay Transport Partnership program helps businesses move goods in the cleanest, most efficient way possible.