Gains in the Education of Mathematics and Science (GEMS) is an Army-sponsored, summer STEM enrichment program for middle and high school students that takes place in participating Army research laboratories and engineering centers.
GEMS’ mission is to interest young people, who might not otherwise give serious thought to becoming scientists or engineers, in STEM careers early enough that they have the time to attain the appropriate academic training. The program is based on a multi-disciplinary educational curriculum, and is focused on age and grade-appropriate hands-on activities, in areas such as science, engineering, mathematics, computational sciences, computational biology, biomedical sciences, chemistry and biology.
You’ll get to:
- work with other students your age to explore STEM topics that are related to current, cutting-edge U.S. Army research
- work beside college students that are pursuing STEM careers
- learn about STEM in a hands-on, lab-based environment – no textbooks
- there’s no fee to participate, and we issue a small stipend to cover some of your costs
- meet students, teachers, scientists and engineers who live and work near you
- Rising 5th through 12th graders are eligible.
- Participants must be U.S. citizens or U.S. permanent legal residents.
All students who are selected and successfully participate in GEMS qualify for an educational stipend ($125 per week) to offset any cost to the student or family to participate (travel and food).
Information for Volunteers
GEMS is looking for NEAR PEER MENTORS. Local college and high school students: Spend your summer mentoring the next generation of innovators.
GEMS and Volunteers
GEMS relies on local college and high school students to work alongside teachers and Army research scientists to provide inquiry-based, hands-on lab experiments and activities. This is not just a summer work opportunity but a way to give back to your local community.
GEMS Near-Peer Mentors receive a stipend based on experience and education level.
You should apply if:
- You are 16 years of age or older,
- You want to mentor other students with hands-on experiments in Army Research Centers & Labs,
- And you have the desire to share your passion for STEM with other students!
Interested in this program?
If you are interested in this program email us or call 1-800-807-9852. We’d love to hear from you!