Phoenix Herpetological Society: Advanced Keepers Program (Ages 12 – 14)
The Keeper Program is designed to give children too young to participate in our Adult Volunteer Program a chance to learn and work at PHS. Each day is three hours long and does have a specific outline of activities & expectations.
After check-in, the keepers & their counselor will gather together, review the rules and behavior expectations, then give an overview of the day’s activities. After learning about the animals, their care needs, and other details for a brief time, the junior keepers will then begin their work. At the conclusion of the animal care activities (“work”), they will gather again for discussion. This quick discussion will help make sure the participants understand the value of their efforts and why it truly matters.
While this is a community service opportunity, it is also a service learning opportunity. We believe that the participants should get more than just required hours of community service for their school or organization – we believe that they should be given the opportunity to learn and grow from the experience.
These are classes are 9-12pm and are $50 for the day. Sign up for 1 or more days, no commitment for multiple days.
Your registration will include:
– 1 snack per day
– Photos from each day of camp. Emailed 1-2 weeks after the camp has ended in a Google Drive Folder available for about a year
– Option to buy camp shirt for $5
• Temperature checks at the gate. Campers will not be allowed to attend camp if they are showing any symptoms of illness
• Students will maintain social distancing in the classroom by sitting at least once chair away from each other and all facing the same direction
• Use of a face mask will be required by the campers, counselors and CITs (and volunteers) while they are inside.
** Please bring a mask with you each day. We will have some available for purchase if needed.
- Audience: Teen
- Genre: Field Sciences
- Type: Workshop