Position: ACCOUNTING MANAGER
Reports to: EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
Classification: FULL TIME, Exempt
Revision Date: DECEMBER 2019
SALARY 50-65,000 & benefits
The SciTech Institute is looking for someone to join our team as the Accounting Manager, to act as the financial leader for the Foundation and to oversee the accounting, administration, and human resources functions for the company. The Accounting Manager is both a “hands on” member of the finance team and a forward-thinking strategic partner and will work with the outsourced controller to prepare and maintain accounting records and produce timely and accurate monthly and annual financial reports until in a position to do on their own. This position reports to the Executive Director of the Arizona Technology Council Foundation dba SciTech Institute
- Accounting in accordance with GAAP: With the direction and support of the outsourced controller, completes all accounting functions including, but not limited to, accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, grants administration, maintenance of Foundation accounting records. The preferred candidate should have a working knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles, including financial statement structure and revenue recognition timing. Expertise in balance sheet account reconciliations and journal entry execution is required.
- Financial Reporting: Ensures timeliness, accuracy, and usefulness of financial and management reporting for the Foundation’s executive team, Board of Directors, and funders.
- Internal Control compliance: Maintains a system of internal controls with emphasis on safeguarding cash receipts, grant funding restricted cash accounting, invoicing, board minutes, other internal governance documents, etc.
- Governance compliance reporting: Ensures that statutory reporting is filed and documented in a timely manner. Meets all filing deadlines for tax and corporate license purposes. Works with outsourced controller to manage annual audit activities, including proper filing of tax/990 returns.
- Human Resources: Prepares and manages the hiring, onboarding, and termination processes for Foundation staff. Coordinate unemployment and workers’ compensation issues.
- Communication: Communicates effectively with other members of the accounting team, programmatic department personnel, partners, vendors and members.
- Risk management: Annually reviews and manages RFP process for property/casualty, liability, D&O insurance coverage, etc., in collaboration with the , Executive Director, President & CEO and outsourced controller.
- Performs other activities as directed by the Executive Director of the Foundation and the CEO.
- Leadership Team: Serves as an active member of the leadership team helping to set company and department goals.
- Must have outstanding integrity and ethics, excellent management and interpersonal skills, be persuasive, possess exceptional reasoning skills, and have outstanding written, verbal and presentation skills.
- Time management of tasks.
- Highly organized self-starter with good problem-solving and analytical skills; demonstrated expertise in quality and performance improvement; and capable of managing and prioritizing multiple tasks.
- Working knowledge of GAAP for accounting practice in nonprofit accounting preferred.
- A good understanding of how to utilize CRM software (Salesforce) and proficiency in Microsoft Office products with a heavy emphasis in Excel. Fluent knowledge of Quickbooks Online.
- Ability to effectively communicate financial information to non-financial managers and board members.
- Ability to meet strict deadlines and to adjust priorities as needed.
- Ability to work with diverse stakeholders (board, staff, volunteers, clients).
- Ability to work overtime hours as necessary.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
Candidates with a combination of relevant education and/or experience will be considered. Preferred candidates will have:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or related field
- Minimum of 3-5 years management level accounting and budgeting experience in a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization.
- This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive; Arizona Technology Council & its Foundation reserves the right to revise or change job duties as the need arises. Job descriptions do not constitute written or implied contracts of employment. Employment with Arizona Technology Council & Foundation is at will.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. This position requires sitting for extended periods of time. Occasionally requires standing, squatting, reaching and bending. Requires ability to receive information through oral communication both in-person and on telephone. Manual dexterity needed for using computer keyboard. Occasional lifting to 25 pounds. Must have adequate vision to operate computer and complete paperwork.
Interested candidates – email resume and cover letter detailing how you meet the job qualifications to Dr. Jeremy Babendure at email@example.com.
This job description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope of the job and the general nature and level of work performed by the job holder. This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of qualifications, skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with the position. The Organization reserves the right to change, amend, add, delete, and otherwise assign any and all duties, responsibilities, and position titles as it deems necessary to meet the needs of the business.